Are you eating for your heart, or eating for your taste buds?
Eating a heart healthy diet will help your cholesterol, blood pressure, and help you lose weight.
You may also be surprised when you learn that your taste buds enjoy eating good!
Instead of focusing on what you can’t eat, focus on all of the delicious things that you can eat!
- Cut back on salt: This will help you control blood pressure and help you enjoy the true taste of your food.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: The fiber will keep you feeling fuller longer and plant foods are an incredible way to fight heart disease.
- Eat a variety of healthy proteins: Select lean meat cuts, fish, poultry and chicken (without the skin), low fat dairy, tofu, nuts, and beans. These will all give you needed protein and keep your heart pumping.
- Limit saturated fats: Read labels and know how much saturated fat is your salad dressing, fried foods, butter, and other favorite foods.
- Avoid trans fats: You will find these in many snack foods, popcorn, fast food, sweets/desserts, read and know your nutrition labels.
- Eat plenty of fish: Fish is an excellent source of nutrients and protein. Salmon and tuna also give you omega 3 fatty acids which can cut your risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Drink more water and keep your system flushed.
Follow these steps for a happy, healthy, heart!
If you have more suggestions, comment below! We would love to have you share them with our community!