Millions and possibly billions of people drink coffee or some type of caffeine daily. Yes, caffeine is accepted as safe for our consumption in moderation, however, there are incredible health benefits of breaking the caffeine habit (coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, etc).
Here are several reasons to kick the caffeine habit that I hope you can incorporate into your health regime:
- Improved health: Yes, there are health benefits of coffee and tea because of their antioxidant properties, however, this isn’t true for all caffeinated drinks. Soda pop, processed coffee and tea, and energy drinks, have a negative impact on long term health. People who consume mostly water, report having a more natural energy, sleeping better, healthier skin, and an overall feeling of wellness.
- Increased Productivity: What if you had an extra hour every day? What would you do with that time? People addicted to caffeine and waste time stopping at convenience stores, coffee shops, in the break room at work, etc. That time saved could be spent sleeping or working out.
- Weight Loss: Caffeinated beverages generally add empty calories to our diets that we don’t need – unless you drink your coffee black. When caffeine is in a sugary beverage, it causes people to consume more of that beverage, in comparison to a sugary beverage without caffeine.
- Reduce Type 2 Diabetes Risk: Black coffee has been proven to reduce diabetes risk, but once you start adding sugar, sugary creamers, and other flavorings to your coffee, your risk for diabetes actually increases.
- Less Jitters: One of the leading side effects from consuming too much caffeine (in any more) is shaky hands or jitters. Quitting your caffeine habit will bring your steady hands back. You may even find that you’re less irritable throughout the day.
- Healthier Diet: Bottled drinks, energy drinks, sodas, teas, and coffees, often have a lot of preservatives to provide them with a longer shelf life. These preservatives can have adverse health effects and some are even banned in other countries (which should be concerning in itself). Sugar-free energy drinks and sodas contain artificial sweeteners that can negatively affect your health – so cutting these out of your diet can be beneficial to your overall long-term and increased health.
- Prettier Teeth: Tea and Coffee stain teeth. Sugary drinks erode tooth enamel and cause tooth decay. Eliminating these beverages results in whiter, brighter, and healthier teeth. Smile!
- Less Headaches: Have you ever noticed when you cut back on caffeine consumption, or drink more caffeine than normal, that it triggers a massive headache? Any change in your consumption can result in caffeine headaches, including migraines. Be prepared when cutting out caffeine that you may experience a headache for a few days. This is normal.
- Sleep Better: Drinking caffeine to late in the evening can affect your sleep since the life of caffeine is 4-6 hours. If you’re having difficulties sleeping at night, cut the caffeine and see if this improves getting your zzzzz’s.
- Lower Your Blood Pressure: Quitting caffeine can lower your blood pressure and keep your heart from working as hard. Give your heart a break.
If these reasons want to make you cut back or quit caffeine altogether, give it a try and let me know how you feel after a few weeks of cutting your caffeine. It’s always good to give your body a break from anything that could become a bad habit!