If you want to make an exercise routine that lasts, repetition is the key! Maybe you’ve set your fitness goals and written them down – now it’s time to turn your plans and thoughts into action. This is essential for success in your walking program.
How Often to Walk
- You should walk a minimum of 3-4 times per week (every other day).
- For weight loss, you should walk most days of the week, at least five days per week. If this is too much in the beginning, take it slow. Don’t risk an injury only to have it set you back several weeks or even months.
- Walking at least every other day is best – try not to skip more than 2 days in a row.
- If you a training for speed or distance, your faster/longer days should be alternated with easy/slow days.
When to Walk
You must find the time of day that best suits your schedule and lifestyle. If you aren’t fitting it into your schedule, chances are, that walk won’t happen. If you aren’t a morning person and never have been, don’t tell yourself you will get up at 5 am to walk – be honest with yourself.
- Schedule a walking workout into their work day by walking at breaks or lunches or right after work.
- It doesn’t matter if you walk in the morning, afternoon or evening and clear your mind. Walking helps reduce stress.
- One of the best ways to make and keep a schedule is to do it with a walking partner. Sometimes we all need an extra push or someone to hold us accountable to ourselves.
- Have a dog? Grab his leash and go, go, go. You will both love your time walking.
If you have any suggestions or walking tips, please, comment below and share them!