Do you believe the only way you can get fit and lose weight is by running? Not true. Power walking is a great way to lose weight!
Do you know that for every hour you spend walking, it may add up to 2 hours to your life, according to research?
Here are some of our favorite power walking tips that will help you stay injury free:
- Put on comfortable, well-fitting shoes: Your shoes should be breathable and lightweight. Go to your local shoe store and have them properly fitted if this is available to you.
- Warm up: Before your power walk, start at a slow, comfortable pace for 5 to 10 minutes, then pick up your speed.
- Set realistic goals and expectations of yourself: If you are beginning, start with 20 to 30 minutes at a slower pace to avoid injuries. If you are advanced, walk in 60 minute sessions, briskly.
- Watch your posture: Stand tall, head up, stomach in and shoulders relaxed.
- Stride naturally: Make sure you don’t lock your knees and land on your heels instead of the middle or front of your foot. Use your natural step to avoid over striding.
- Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze! Squeeze your glutes and use your core to strengthen your muscles and reduce your chance of injuries.
- Swing your arms while you walk: Keep your shoulders relaxed so your arms swing freely. Swinging your arms will help you move faster and keep you moving forward. Avoid using hand weights as this will put stress on your elbows and shoulders.
- Try endurance training intervals: Speed up your pace for 2 minutes for every 5 minutes.
- When you are done walking, slow your pace, and stretch your hamstrings, calves, chest, shoulders, and back.
- Spice it up! Throughout your walk, do some jumping jacks, try skipping, and walk backwards.
- Walk on grass, sand, gravel, for variety in your workouts.
- Walk uphill: While you are walking uphill, use a slower pace, take shorter steps and keep your knees slightly bent.
- Vary your route: Stroll your city and take different routes to make your walks interesting and fun!
- Grab a friend: Getting healthy alone is GREAT. Getting healthy with a friend is even better!
Do you have any tips you would add? Comment below!