Looking for a quick, filling, lunch that will keep you feeling satisfied? Try this Skinny Life approved recipe!
Grilled cheese sandwiches with roasted red peppers, arugula and fried egg recipe
You don’t often think about fried eggs when you think grilled cheese sandwiches, but this recipe will change that. The egg adds heartiness, flavor and fun to a classic sandwich. Swiss cheese pairs nicely with the other ingredients, but you can use your favorite.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices rustic-style bread, cut about 2 inches thick
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 1-1/2 cups arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 pasteurized eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper, to season
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. The buttered side will be placed on the griddle or pan.
- Add 2 slices of Swiss cheese to each slice of bread, followed by the roasted red peppers, then the arugula leaves.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. When the griddle or skillet is hot, carefully place the bread onto the surface to cook for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melting and the bottom of the bread is lightly golden.
- As the grilled cheese cooks, to a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 1/2 the oil. When the oil is hot, carefully crack 2 eggs into the pan (keep the yolks intact), and try to keep them from touching. Cook for several minutes, until the whites and yolks of the eggs are firm.
- Use a spatula to remove the eggs from the pan, and transfer them to a warm dish. Repeat with the remaining oil and eggs.
- Transfer the grilled cheese sandwiches to plates, and top each with a fried egg. Season with salt and ground black pepper, and serve warm.
Photo & Recipe: She Knows