The joys of the holiday season are upon us! It’s the time of year for good friends, good times, and good food. Food is an important part of what makes the holidays special. However, if you are watching your weight, all of the delicious goodies can equal weight gain, real quick.
The holidays don’t have to mean you gain the typical 5-12 pounds. With a few simple tips, you won’t find your jeans snug, or using a different loophole on your belt.
- When mingling at parties and standing near the snack table, remember; all food is not created equal. Instead of reaching for deep fried dishes, or high-fat dips, reach for vegetables, fruits, and protein rich foods.
- When the hors d’oeuvres pass you by, resist the temptation to partake every time the tray is passed around. Limit yourself to reaching for that tray to one time.
- If you’re going to be drinking, limit yourself to 1-2 drinks. Alcohol and eggnog are high in calories and stimulates your appetite. An even better option is reaching for a glass of water or spritzer.
- Keep exercising and get your body moving! It is easy to fall out of your fitness routine with all of the hustle and bustle during the holidays. Make sure your physical fitness is one of your priorities – not only will it help you keep the weight off, it will also help you manage holiday stress.
- If you slip and find yourself eating unhealthy, don’t throw in the towel until after the holidays. Be easy on yourself and take it one meal, one party, and one cookie at a time.
What are some of your favorite holiday weight gain tips? Do you have something special you do to keep extra weight from creeping on? We would love to hear them – just comment below!