As parents we put so much love and time into making sure their kids grow up happy and productive. So doesn’t it make sense to want your children to develop life long, healthy habits that will benefit them for the rest of their lives?
What’s the best way to encourage our children to make healthy choices on their own – without being too pushy and be overly focused on our children’s body images, weight, and what they are or are not eating.
Here are some simple tips to help your kids get healthy or stay healthy!
- Create choices (good ones)! Kids (and adults) don’t like to be told what they can and cannot do. Give your children options when it comes to their health and make sure you are praising them for their successes. For example: Would you rather have apples or carrots and celery with your lunch? Do you feel like going for a bike ride or playing a little basketball at the park?
- Stock your refrigerator. Out of sight-out of mind. When your stock the fridge and pantry with fruits and vegetables, flavored rice cakes, air-popped popcorn, or nuts you make good choices simple. Now the cookies or unhealthy snacks just aren’t there to grab. If buying canned fruit, make sure they’re packed with real fruit juice not sugar syrup.
- Be a good role model. When your children see you eating healthy and moving your body, it sends a message to them that health is important to you and for your family. Example a love of healthy movement!
- Limit television and video games. We all enjoy relaxing after a long day – but make sure your kids are getting outside and being kids BEFORE they sink into the sofa and don’t move again for the rest of the evening.
- Get the entire family involved. Dust off your bicycle, put on your walking shoes, go swimming, or play tag with your children. Make exercise fun for your kids and everyone will benefit from the extra family time together and health benefits.
- Let your child be creative. Let your child experience difference activities until they find something they truly love doing! They’ll stick to it longer if they enjoy doing it!
Remember, being healthy and having healthy kids starts with you!