Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash
Love squash? We found this delicious recipe for Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash that you will love!
This Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash will have you feeling satisfied and guilt free! If you love red meat sauce and cheese, this will definitely please your palate.
This Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash has a rich, homemade turkey sauce all smothered with melted mozzarella cheese! Healthy, hearty and easy!
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- ¾ pound mild turkey sausage
- 2 cups pasta sauce (I prefer this homemade thicker recipe)
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, grated [this makes a HUGE difference in overall flavor, but you can also use the pre-grated type in a pinch]
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (this will save your baking sheets and also you a lot of cleanup!)
- Halve your spaghetti squash, scoop out the insides, and place them face up on your baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and coarse kosher salt. Flip them over and drizzle with more olive oil and salt. Be sure to set aside the insides of the squash to roast the seeds!
- Bake in your preheated oven until the skin easily gives when you poke it with a fork. It will feel soft and will indent. This baking time will vary drastically by the size of your squash; 30-60 minutes.
- While the squash bakes prepare your filling. Brown some mild, turkey sausage and combine with pasta sauce. Heat gently in a medium saucepan.
- Grip the squash with tongs and scrape out the insides with fork into a medium bowl.
- Repeat with all remaining squash halves.
- Season generously with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and fresh ground nutmeg (leave this out if you only have the pre-ground type…it’s just not the same). I like to season the squash in batches; fluffing with a fork to toss and coat.
- Fill the empty squash skins or ovenproof dish with the spaghetti squash; top with ¼ of the turkey sausage pasta sauce; and then sprinkle grated mozzarella over the top.
- Broil until cheese melts and browns. Serve immediately.